The Before Posters



When I moved into my own apartment after university, I could only afford a very modest dwelling. My living space was difficult to live in, to say the least. To escape, I would go for very long walks to clear my head. I would walk for hours from the west island to the downtown hub to see a movie or do an errand and eat a modest meal. I passed many commercial streets on the way full of many modest businesses. There were many places life was cheap (mine too even to me).
About half distance to downtown I hit one of the longest streets in the city. Circling this street was a large population of the very poor, there was also a dense concentration of people. On the street, originally, there were a lot of dry goods establishments that served as general stores but with an emphasis on the garment manufacturing industry. They would sell tools, appliances and clothing for the whole family as well as buttons, material, scissors and needles. There was also a fair amount of family tolerated prostitution amidst a thriving criminal counterculture. Around this time, the police sergeant had taken it upon himself to clean up the area. He started a government program to sponsor new businesses and because of the presence of the garment trade, many beginning clothing designers opened up shop. These were young designers that needed a lot of cheap, fast space and they were willing and able to physically fight for them
The street itself crossed a large amount of segregated communities and like the communities it was split into distinct sections based on different cultures and countries. Interspersed with the garment industry establishments were many ethnically inspired groceries stores suited to people from the different neighborhoods (You had Portuguese in the Portuguese section of the street, you had English in the English section of the street you had Chinese etc.) I would later move to a home in this neighborhood and had many agreeable shopping excursions sampling the different foods from all these cultures. For example, I much enjoyed going to China town for pressed duck, lychee nuts, and dim sum. The Jewish quarter boasted rye bread and delicatessens.  The Portuguese section had a fabulous selection of affordable restaurants with Portuguese Grill. These culturally diverse grocery stores exist to this very day. You also had a lot of temporary space that could be rented very cheaply for performance. It is from these performances can I take inspiration for a current series of work that I am producing.

to advertise these performances a series of very quick very rough posters were created.

Comments