A Monster, A Horse, and the White Cliffs of Dover

 I just wrote about a long ride that I went on as a little girl of ten years old when A horse and buggy driver on the mountain had a little too much to drink and gave the reins to a gentleman companion of mine. He took the horse and buggy all the way to my little house in the distant suburbs of the city. This is when my memory gets fuzzy. All I remember clearly ( and thinking this now as an adult) is that the Gods must have frowned upon this and wreaked vengeance upon us. (That is the only explanation that could be as to what happened next)



I do not remember how but for me, the gentleman driver, the horse and buggy and the owner were all transported to the White Cliffs of Dover. Now we are standing at the top of a very white cliff overlooking the sea when someone (the Gods as far as I can see now) throws the horse and myself off a cliff. We land in an eagle’s nest. Only it is not an eagle at all. Instead of feathers, it has scales and a long tale with an arrow at the end.

I remember the buggy’s owner is not impressed about saving me. But when the horse falls down beside me and we are looking up, he takes action to save the horse. He somehow crawls down the cliff to get to us. My gentleman companion, who barely knew me stays at the top of the cliff with a rope. I can see his face looking down. And the horse’s owner, as he is going down the sheer cliff with the other end of the rope (I think) is cracking wisecracks as he hits bumps and stops. I remember thinking how calm he seems to be as he shoots out these quiet comments on the way down to the nest.

So now it is the three of us: the horse, the owner and me in this nest of a large bird-like creature, halfway from the top of a sheer white cliff and the bright blue ocean. He does not know what to do. Luckily, I have watched the movies. I call into the ocean and a large sea monster answers me. I ask him if he can help us. The owner of the horse, who is also a seafarer, is not at all impressed as the sea monster gracefully answers my request. He lifts his long neck up from the sea, a thousand feet high, and takes us one by one (or something to that effect) up to the top of the cliff and to safety.

How we got there and how I got back home I have no idea.

Comments