After the Ransom is Paid

My young family and I had the great misfortune to be taken hostage by some pirates when I was very small. My parents had the misjudgment to have mentioned that they had access to a Swiss bank account and a fair amount of money in case any trouble happened. Our captors had heard this before the abduction. My parents had been warned to take the money only in the case of great misfortune.  the result was that it was only under severe and prolonged torture that they gave the money to the captors. Or asked for it as ransom,  I am not sure which.  Although the money was not much according to the captors they took it anyways.  And very soon my parents were put to death.

Luckily, (or unluckily) there had been a much-loved son of a wealthy family that had been taken along with us.  They decided to listen to the captors and give in to their demands.  Among other things, the hostage-takers demanded that a housing complex for the poor be constructed in a Montreal suburb.

I remember being there when the abductors heard that the ransom had been given.  We were somewhere near and great and noisy celebrations were made so that they heard their demands were met.  ALong with me was the young son of the wealthy family.  He and witness the happy celebrations that the kidnappers enjoyed as the ransom was paid.  A very long time passed and finally, the young man asked when he would be let go.  this was not to be the case the kidnappers said with glee.  And he was very soon killed.

As for me and my mother, we were very soon placed in the very housing project that had been built by the family of the young man.   By this time, my mother was very injured and very tired and could barely speak.  Among other things, the kidnappers asked that food and clothing for the poor be distributed among the neighborhood. And like the other families there, my mother and I were present when the goods were given out.

So long did it take for us to receive anything at all, the good people who were giving out the goods were just about to leave when my mother, who could barely talk,  managed to scream out 'What about my Kathy?. What about my child?.  After much scolding and berating, by the good samaritans who gave out the goods, we did receive what was left.  I don't remember what.

Such is the stuff of hatred.  This is how I started living in the community I grew up in.

Comments